Plan Everything, Expect Nothing

I would have wanted to post this when the information was still fresh in my mind, since I was admitted to the hospital on March 6, 2017 for a very lengthy induction, but today is the first day that it’s just Jake, Aurora, and I at the house since we brought our adorable baby into the world. The induction we didn’t want, but had to have anyway! My placenta was getting “mature” and calcifying, the doctors were getting angry and upset, and it was just time. After talking to Jake’s sister and mother and everyone that would listen, we decided to go in around 6 in the evening to the hospital to begin what would total nearly 60 hours of induction and labor. I was there long enough to go through four full nursing shift teams and two on call doctors.

Our first overnight was to be 12 hours of cervadil, which morphed into a full 24 hour hurry-up-and-wait dosing of cervadil, before they began the pitocin (artificial oxytocin) drip. And then more waiting. I sent my mother, sister, and husband home on shifts while pretty much nothing happened. Unless you count me nearly breaking the on call doctor’s fingers because I didn’t want her checking my cervix anymore, I guess that’s a little something.

The early hours of the 8th, the pitocin induced contractions became murderously painful. Nothing eased them. There is not a breathing trick in the world to calm down that storm. I was not dilated enough for an epidural, so Jake laid in a recliner beside my bed trying to sleep while I screamed in what he would describe as operatic tones to try to make it through them. Eventually, it became unbearable, and I begged for the stadol narcotic to help relax me. I managed to pass out for an hour or so before it wore off and everything was back full force. The silver lining? I was dilated enough and I could request the epidural! Send in the anesthesiologist!

….he missed the first time. After summoning some sort of magic to not writhe or scream during 3-4 contractions, only my right leg went numb and I had no relief from the labor pain. They sent in a second anesthesiologist (and the first one got a major ass chew by the doctor). After taking his time through 6-7 contractions, I was numb and could relax. After literal days of being 1-3cm dilated only, things finally ramped up and I was 9cm! Practice pushing time! This is the major downside of the epidural: I couldn’t feel fuck all of what I  was supposed to be doing while pushing. I was on my fourth nursing team, and my head nurse was my least favorite person in the room. After several hours of trying to push and move things forward, the doctor came to check on me. My head nurse told her it was time for a stat c-section, and my doctor was having none of it. She put her gloves on and decided to stay for the remainder of the birth to make sure we could avoid any unnecessary surgery.

Lots of pushing, lots of nothing happening, lots of the baby’s heartrate rising and falling, and suddenly something clicked in place and the doctor said “it’s time!” Nothing seemed different for Jake or I, but the doctor was putting on a large smock and getting a table full of tools ready and it only took minutes after that. Jake was amazing during the whole process. He was on my left side, holding my leg, cheering me on, and was the most supportive husband I could have ever wished for. My mom seemed like she was going to faint, and my sister was having sympathy pains, but they were amazing to have with me, too. Aurora’s head was 36cm and a little big for me, so I did have to get a 2nd degree episiotomy (this area does NOT numb with a epidural, by the way) but just like that, we got to welcome Aurora Quinn Atwood into the world at 1:01pm on Wednesday, March 8th, International Women’s Day!

My journey wasn’t over though. We had to stay until a discharge on Friday the 10th, full of the last finger prick blood tests of my pregnancy, bad breastfeeding advice, and some x-rays for Ms. Aurora’s left foot, which I think will be the subject of many blog posts to come. Once her medical team figures out where to refer us and what to do with her bone development anyway. My mother had to leave the first weekend, but my sister had a miraculous flight cancellation and her week long trip was extended for an extra week. She was an absolute lifesaver. Jake immediately went back to work, but Jenn stayed to pick up all the slack that was left while I healed up. She cooked, cleaned, baby soothed, let me sleep in one morning, took us shopping, and was all around the rockstar aunt. I’ve probably missed a lot, and hopefully will remember to fill in the gaps, and keep updating as our little Rory grows. <3


Aurora’s X-ray team was amazing, and their machine was a giant giraffe! She was very relaxed during the whole process on both days she had to be examined, and we have high hopes for a smooth journey on her adorable footy adventure.

Aurora Quinn, born 8March2017 at 1:10pm. 8lbs7oz, 20 1/4 inches long, 36cm head!

“You want to bring home a live baby, don’t you?”

I am still pretty beside myself about our hospital visit yesterday. I am 39weeks+5 days today, and there really is no end in sight for this pregnancy. Our appointment this week was with the doctor who was really mad about the calzone a couple weeks ago. After another flawless non-stress test for Aurora, I was asked by the medical assistant if I wanted the doctor to check my cervix to see if my body was getting ready for this baby. I was curious, I’ll admit it, so I agreed. The doctor told us about the Bishop score, and she would give us a number between 0 and 13 to tell us how ready my body seemed to be. Well, I was a zero. Straight up, my cervix is chilling, the baby hasn’t really dropped, there are no signs of impending labor at all. No dilation, it hasn’t moved, isn’t effaced.

Which brings us to the headline of this post.

That is straight up what this doctor asked me and my husband when she began to fret about the fact that I declined a 39 week induction. She continued where every other doctor has left off about all of the risks and things that don’t apply to my pregnancy, and rattled off statistics for DIABETIC patients (as in Type II prior to pregnancy), and then asked, “you want to bring home a live baby, don’t you?” I am grateful that my husband joined me for this appointment since we anticipated some pushback from the medical team. I’m honestly surprised I didn’t burst into tears.

We did get a real moment of clarity with this doctor, though, when she said “well do you want the induction or not”, and Jake and I began to ask additional questions. When we still weren’t sure or ready to commit to an answer, she told us it was becoming a legal issue by this point because I was not following the hospital’s standard of care. Then, all of the pressure started to make sense. So Jake said, “we accept legal responsibility for our choices from here forward” and the doctor was satisfied. So, what was supposed to be my last week of ultrasounds and non-stress testing has pushed out until Monday, when I get another ultrasound and non-stress test. I will be 40 weeks + 1 day at that point. Come on Aurora, don’t you wanna meet me already?

When in doubt, bring a buddy!

I missed a week!

I am 39weeks+1day now and I really hope we are on the home stretch. I missed updating last week after my ultrasound (7lbs 11oz then) and non-stress test. It mostly just another doctor telling me he wanted to induce me Monday, which happens to be today, because of “risks”. Aside from doctors saying empty things like “still birth” or “intrauterine fetal death”, they don’t have much else to tell me about the risks. My blood sugar is still doing alright, and as of today, Aurora is measuring 8lbs4oz, which is just about on track. Measuring two days ahead size wise doesn’t really seem like a particularly huge red flag to me, and one of my doctors supports my decision to just wait and see when the baby wants to be ready.

I don’t feel like there is a health emergency for either of us. A lot of mothers with gestational diabetes have a much rougher time of things, especially this far along. The support group is full of women on insulin and glyburide still unable to control their blood sugar even with the proper diet. Their fluids are low or too high, they have pre-eclampsia, they have aging/failing placentas. I think I might be able to approach this from a “we better hurry this along” perspective if any of those things were the case for me, but as long as she keeps passing the tests, I will keep wanting to wait.

Jake and I got colds over the weekend, and I’m hoping at the very least that Aurora can wait until that all clears up for me before she decides to make her debut. We spent our weekend pitifully locked indoors, playing video games, musing about starting our own babywearing lending library, and eating hot soup.

Photo from our last ultrasound (!!!). Tilt your head to the right and squint, she’s making a kissy face.

The Road Goes Ever On

37w+4d, another non-stress test completed and passed, and another doctor with different opinions seen. As you can see, I did opt to go to this appointment despite the stress of last week’s non-stress test (is that irony? I’m bad at irony, but this feels ironic). This doctor, let’s call her Dr. Z, actually has a diabetic husband and seems much more sympathetic to a pregnancy affected by gestational diabetes. She didn’t care about the calzone, she didn’t care that a couple of my fastings creeped up to or just over 100, or that I had a cheeseburger with my husband for Valentine’s Day. In fact, she had the opposite opinion about inducing than the doctor I saw for the last two weeks. She doesn’t believe in rushing it unless there is a direct threat to the baby, like blood sugar I can no longer control with diet, or falling heart rate, or pre-eclampsia symptoms. That makes me feel a LOT better, and a lot more relaxed. She said there was no point in inducing the baby if my cervix wasn’t ready, and that most women by 39 weeks are just done being pregnant so that’s why they usually move forward. She said she was willing to continue monitoring Aurora, and if 39 weeks hits and it’s still “not time”, then we can keep waiting.

However, next week I see another doctor (I’ve seen 5 total since beginning this journey), and he could have a third totally different opinion than the two I have seen during the high risk monitoring. I might ask Jake to go with me for week 38 non-stress testing just so I have some backup. My experience is this is a more aggressive doctor when it comes to medical opinion and having things done their way.

16 days left until my due date!

Back in the hot seat for the non-stress test!

She shrank!

Nothing major to update, just my 37w+1day growth scan showing Aurora at 7lbs4oz, 3oz less than last week. Considering the lecture I got for eating a calzone and being told I was making the baby massive, I’m feeling a LOT better about her growth.

Aurora’s profile facing left, eyes closed, cheeks as fat as ever.